Monday, October 12, 2009

Blurry Between the F-Sharp and B-Flat

A new week, a new chance for you to catch up on my shrill writings about your favorite beverage: alcohol. I'm in a sing-songy mood, or whatever the adults are calling these days, and I feel like writing a bit about tunes. So I've decided to do just that. Obviously. Or this wouldn't be my intro, would it? I mean, what kind of writer would I be if I just rambled on and on and on about nothing in my introduction? You wouldn't even know what I am about to blog about! Anyways let's get started.

(Your Favorite Bloggers 8 Favorite Songs About Alcohol.)
(Hint: Your favorite blogger is me, not Perez Hilton. I don't even know why your head would go there. Seems kind of mean.)

8. "Who's Got the Hooch?"-Everything
Favorite Alcy Lyric: "Who's got the hooch, baby? Who's got the only sweetest thing in the world?"
Why It Cracks the List: Personally, I think this song is beyond recognition, all sorts of terrible. At least...UNTIL I HEARD IT AGAIN. Now I can't get this damn thing out of my head every time it comes up on shuffle. Is it a good song? Probably not. But it won't go away. So it makes my list. FOR NOW.


7. "I Kissed a Drunk Girl"-Something Corporate
Favorite Alcy Lyrics: "Everyone there was gone, her little cousin was passed out on the lawn."
Why it Cracks the List: Because I am personally obligated to include an Andrew McMahon song in every list I ever do about music. Also, I've been listening to Something Corporate for almost a decade. This song, not even close to SoCo's best, is the only Andy song I could find that is purely about drinking. And it's not THAT bad. I mean, it's about making out with a drunk girl. We've all done that before. Even the girl(s) reading.


6. "Let's Get Fucked Up and Die"-Motion City Soundtrack
Favorite Alcy Lyric: "God damn the liquor store's closed, we were so close to scoring."
Why it Cracks the List: Kind of a downer, but still a great tune. It's like, screw it, let's get hammered and fuck the consequences. Even though the song is about the lead singer's alcoholism, I still say it encourages drinking and having a good time. And it's a really fun song. I mean, to me at least. Maybe I just see the boozy goodness in all things awesome. Who cares? It's a damn good song about getting drunk as a skunk.


5. "Drunken Lament"-Ludo
Favorite Alcy Lyric: "Pour the rum in my eyes, tell me lies."
Why It Cracks the List: Another kind of downer but at least it's semi-catchy. Not a song I really expect anyone reading to like, because it's kind of like indie pop-punkish, but this is my list damnit. And I will bore you to death if I feel like it. WAIT WHERE ARE YOU GOING?! Sorry, I love you all. Anyways, this song rocks my proverbial drunken socks off.


4. "Hot Mess"-Cobra Starship
Favorite Alcy Lyric: "Stumblin' but yeah, you're still lookin' hella-fine!"
Why it Cracks the List: This is the song on the list that I will (and probably should) get the most shit for. It's an insanely poppy song, with insanely ridiculous lyrics, from an insanely preposterous band. And I love every damned second of it. Criticize, make fun, do what you will, but know this is probably what I'm singing in my car when I'm on my way to pick you as the DD. (interpret DD anyway you want)


3. "Bright Future in Sales"-Fountains of Wayne
Favorite Alcy Lyric: "Seven scotch and sodas at the office party, now I don't remember where I'm from."
Why it Cracks the List: Yes, this is that "Stacy's Mom"-song band. But they are oh-so-much more to me and this song pretty much describes a business alcoholic. And I think it's devilishly catchy. And so does your mom. Just kidding. She probably hasn't heard this song.


2. "The Science of Selling Yourself Short"-Less Than Jake
Favorite Alcy Lyric: "I've been spending my time at the local liquor store, and I've been sleeping nightly on my best friends kitchen floor."
Why it Cracks the List: This song has been one of my favorites for a long time. Even though it's extremely depressing when you listen to the lyrics, it never fails to make me happy. Maybe it's the inclusion of so many instruments, maybe because it makes me feel better about myself. I don't know. And I don't care. I don't ask questions when I like a song. I just listen on.


1. "Saturday Night"-Lucky Boys Confusion
Favorite Alcy Lyric: "This room is like a bottle...it's never full enough!"
Why it Cracks the List: From one of, if not my, favorite bands, "Saturday Night" is a song I think I try and listen to every Saturday Night I go out since the beginning of high school. Probably my number one "Pump-Up" song for going out, it has been part of going out routine, which basically means I listen to it when I'm pre-gaming on Saturday nights. But it wins. For so many reasons.
"Saturday Night"-LBC


Well that'll about do it. Like I said, these were MY favorite songs about alcohol. So obviously everyone and their 2-year old sister/niece/daughter is going to disagree with the list. I hope you enjoyed at least a few of the entries. I'm sure I'll be back here for more later in the week. Until next time, (insert however you say "have a good one" in Arabic since I'm too lazy to look that up)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Results