Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Weekend Box-Office (Or: Some People are Very Stupid)

Today, I'm going to go over the Top 5 of this past weekend's Box Office. I'll try and get to this every week, if time permits. Here it is, the April 3-5 Box Office.
(ed.'s note: Greg Mottola's Adventureland was not in the Top 5, even though it's the highest rated movie in the Top 10 by far. Shame on you, folks.

5. I Love You Man ($7.85 Million)
At almost $50 million, ILYM is going strong thanks to the star power of Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. And good for them. With a really strong marketing campaign, people are actually seeing this movie, which is a good decision because it's very funny. Comedies have trouble making a real ton of money, so $50 mil is a solid figure after 3 weeks for this movie. It's no Knocked Up, but it should beat out Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Role Models when it surpasses $60 million. Good work.

4. Knowing ($8.13 Million)
Nicholas Cage baffles me. His movies are horrible, yet...they continue to make money. Is it the hair? The saving of the world? The aliens obsessed with numbers? Or is it "HOW'D IT GET BURNED?!" It did have a pretty big drop though from it's opening weekend, so at least bad word of mouth is putting this movie in it's rightful place: on the way to a DVD release in June so people don't forget about it. (Forget about it, please)

3. The Haunting in Connecticut ($9.55 Million)
I don't know much about this movie, except that people are desperate to see a good horror movie. Well, I am too, but I'm not gonna spend my money on this garbage. I hear Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island" that's due out in October is sort of a horror movie. So I'll wait to see that if I want to see a horror movie. It's too bad that teenagers go see these horrible movies because they think a movie that makes them "jump" is scary. Psh, maybe it is. Give me something horrifying that I'm going to have nightmares about, not something that's gonna make me go "OH! I didn't know that guy was gonna be there but he was so I flinched in my seat!"

2. Monsters vs. Aliens ($33.5 Million)
I guess kids gotta see something, right? I'm not sure how I feel about this movie but 3D surely helped the box office figures for this one. Even if it's just a gimmick, it's a gimmick that is working right now, so why wouldn't studios hammer it into the ground? Seems like a decent enough movie to take your kids too, but how has it made over $100 Million in two weeks? I suppose that it has something to do with the fact that we are in a recession or something. Then again, I spent $20 last night at various bars hoping to pick up women, so can I really fault parents taking their kids to a movie? Yes. But I won't. BTW, who would win in this matchup? I'd say Aliens. Monsters seem kind of dumb and like one-trick ponies.

1. Fast and Furious ($72.5 Million)
Please, people, stop choosing cheap thrills over quality. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker are two of, if not THE two, worst actors currently working. And they are only currently working because of this movie. I'm just baffled and pissed off that this made so much. Ugh. One thing you can learn from this is that Marketing is Everything. Unbelievable. People are losing their jobs, but apparently people are spending their last dollars on Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, and two nameless hot chicks drag racing. Was Tokyo Drift not enough? Are we on our way to Fast and Furious 8? Will this win any Razzies? I sure hope so.

Next Week Preview:
If you think this week was bad, wait til next week. The two big releases next week are Seth Rogen's "We suffer from bad timing" mall cop comedy, Observe and Report and the hellspawn that is Miley Cyrus' Hannah Montana Movie. Here is my Top 5 Prediction for next week:
1. Fast and Furious
2. Hannah Montana
3. Monsters vs. Aliens
4. Observe and Report
5. Haunting in Connecticut

I'd stay at home or spend your money at a bar. That's what I'll be doing.
And Good Night!

2 comments:

  1. The question is... did you see Adventureland this weekend? And, if so, how was it?

    Secondly, I think you're low-balling Observe and Report, but, with Fast and Furious making 73 mil, who really knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not see it yet, I think I'm gonna get around to it during the week.
    As for Observe and Report, I think Paul Blart is going to end up hurting it. People like F&F apparently, but maybe kids will split M vs. A and Hannah Montana and hurt both those but who knows.

    ReplyDelete

Search

Results