Sunday, September 30, 2007

Oh, Oscar

hey there again i'm back and better than ever to deliver you my oscar predictions for the coming season. if nothing else, it can help you decide what to see. if you don't like it, go see Saw XXIV due out in a few weeks. maybe your intellect is more suited for that.


Best Supporting Actor
Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men (due out 11/21/07)
Josh Brolin for No Country for Old Men
Phil Bosco for The Savages (11/30/07)
Tom Wilkinson for Michael Clayton (10/12/07)
Armin Mueller-Stahl for Eastern Promises (already out)
The Deal: Bardem, if you watch the trailer, seems to be the strong frontrunner and definitely will get a nom. Bosco and Brolin are getting good reviews from the film festivals and Stahl is safe for now. I'm sure you've never heard of any of these guys, but you may have seen a few. You will see Bardem. Never have I been so put away by a trailer, I think he's got the oscar here.

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett (as Bob Dylan) for I'm Not There (11/21/07)
Jennifer Jason Leigh for Margot at the Wedding (11/16/07)
Amy Ryan for Gone, Baby, Gone (10/19/07)
Saoirse Ronan for Atonement (12/07/07)
Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton
The Deal: Blanchett, playing Bob Dylan, and JJL are virtual locks at this point, although it's hard to "lock" this early. Ronan and Swinton are 3/4 for right now but I'm not too sure about Clooney's Michael Clayton flick. Ryan is a toss up because it is a Ben Affleck directed film (yikes) but it is getting raves so we'll see. Blanchett may get a lead nomination for her other movie coming out instead of this so that may come into play here as well.

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood (12/26/07)
Denzel Washington for American Gangster (11/2/07)
Johnny Depp for Sweeney Todd (12/21/07)
James McAvoy for Atonement
Tommy Lee Jones for In the Valley of Elah (in theatres)
The Deal: This is still really, really early. Day-Lewis is usually great and is probably a safe bet. Denzel, as always, could go either way. McAvoy is in, unless Atonement is a big stinker, which I doubt. TLJ, according to my unnamed supersecret Hollywood sources, is the early favorite here, but just barely. He hasn't received too much recognition for his work. Depp's nomination depends on how well he can sing in the new Tim Burton movie, but I think it looks great. I'll go with Depp here only because I want too.

Best Actress
Laura Linney for The Savages
Cate Blanchett for The Golden Age (10/12/07)
Keira Knightley for ATonement
Ellen Page for Juno (released)
Nicole Kidman for Margot at the Wedding
The Deal: Again, it's early. The only lock i'd say is Blanchett because the Academy loves these Queen roles, unless the Dylan flick overshadows it. Knightley is just there, I'm thinking that'll fall through. Linney looks safe, but it's early. Page has Ebert in her corner, so she may sneak in. Kidman is simply a guess and probably not gonna happen. I'll give it to Blanchett for now. She's usually pretty good.

Best Director
Joel/Ethan Coen for No Country for Old Men
Joe Wright for Atonement
James Mangold for 3:10 to Yuma (released)
Tim Burton for Sweeney Todd
Ridley Scott for American Gangster
The Deal: Coen Bro's are a lock and my pick here. I think the film's gonna be great. Burton and Scott are both toss ups because their films could be great or.....stinky. Wright is getting raves so far. Mangold was received great by everyone and bringing back the Western certainly doesn't hurt his chances.

Best Picture
The Kite Runner (12/28/07)
Atonement
No Country for Old Men
Sweeney Todd
American Gangster
The Deal: Again, Old Men is my favorite here. I'm expecting the Kite Runner to sneak in, as it has not received much attention. Atonement is getting great reviews accross the pond. I'm riding the Sweeney Todd Buzz as long as I can. American Gangster is a toss up. I'm guessing Atonement for now, but that will be subject to change.

Sorry, I know you readers hate my stupid Oscar predictions. But live with them. I'll be back soon with an intellectually stimulating column. Until then, Go Cubs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Results